Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Electrically Charged

I’m not sure what has been going on at our Electrical plant here in town but we have had some small power-surges and power outages over the last couple of days.  I won’t lie, the power outage we had on Saturday night was great – it flicked on and off for a good hour and a half with outages clocking 10-15 minutes in length. So Hughie and I lit my candles and turned the switch on our camping lantern and enjoyed each others company. Although I’m not sure he has the same opinion of the outage.  I kicked his butt twice at Crib (I’m not sure he’ll ever play me again) and at Scrabble.  Although, in his defence when we are down to the last of our letter chips and he is stuck with Z, Q, A, I, I what can you do.  I on the other hand was forming 5-6 letter words throughout the game.  I guess I take after my mother – she is the Scrabble Queen in our family. 

The most recent outage was this morning, luckily my coffeemaker is programmed to go off at 8:30am, so we had hot coffee.  I was in the bedroom making the bed at 8:59am (so I would have a spot to store my clean clothes before I put them away sometime this evening…I hate putting away clothes) and everything just went dark and all I heard over Chakotay whining (he doesn’t like the sound of the fire alarm beeping when the power first goes out) was OOPS! I thought Hughie did something at first, what I don’t know, but in retrospect his OOPS was just that he forgot to tell me, prepare me, that the outage was happening this morning.  So I got him out the door and off to work and I curled up on the couch to read Twilight (again!) and eat my PB on Pita.  It is a great way to start the day, even with the lack of sunlight.  Nice and quiet (now if I didn’t have my coffee maker set I, and Hughie would have been bears)

With that being said, I was a little worried about the power being out this morning considering we are under a wind-chill warning in Kugaaruk:

***********************

Wind chill warning for Kugaaruk 
Extreme wind chills developing this evening. This is a warning that extreme wind chill conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.
Brisk southwest winds will combine with temperatures near minus 40 to give extreme wind chill values below minus 55 this evening and overnight at Kugaaruk. The extreme wind chills will continue into Wednesday as little change in temperature or wind speed is likely.
At these extreme wind chill values frostbite on exposed skin may occur in less than 2 minutes.

*************************

I hope these conditions don’t last, I have a couple of steps that could use a good shovelling.  I don’t mind the cold, but when it reaches –50/-60 I rather just keep it nice and toasty.  Although the power outage was suppose to last an hour, after 42 minutes the power was up and running and I was still nice and warm under my blanket drinking my coffee and watching the snowmobiles fly by house (god they must be really really cold).

So last night, I finally said enough was enough – we have been stock piling gifts for our friends & family over the last couple of weeks with the last of them coming in just a couple of days ago.  Hughie and I trekked to the office with all our boxes and proceeded to wrap them and address them.  Unfortunately for us, Leo did not order in any wrapping paper this year, as he had a hard time selling it last year, so we had to make due with brown postal wrapping paper! lol, but we live in the North so it is to be expected. Thankfully my mother is a Christmas genius so she is sending up Christmas wrapping  paper for me!  My mom is awesome!  We are hoping to send them out on today’s plane, as long as it arrives.  I’m not so much worried about the adults receiving their gifts on time, as long as the kidlets get theirs before Christmas.

IMG_6066 

(Chakotay being a ham – he knows there is a Gingerbread house on top of the fridge!)

16 days until Christmas Eve!

No comments: